Course code / Specification number: Edexcel - 2TT01
What will the students learn about?
- make decisions, consider sustainability and combine skills with knowledge and understanding in
order to design and make quality products
- explore ways in which aesthetic, technical, economic, environmental, ethical and social
dimensions interact to shape designing and making
- analyse existing products and produce practical solutions to needs, wants and opportunities,
recognising their impact on quality of life
- develop decision-making skills through individual and collaborative working
- understand that designing and making reflect and influence cultures and societies, and that
products have an impact on lifestyle
- develop skills of creativity and critical analysis through making links between the principles of
good design, existing solutions and technological knowledge.
What skills will the students develop and demonstrate?
Unit 1 Creative Design and Make Activities Unit code: 5TT01
Students can either design and make one product or different products.
Students will develop skills in researching, designing, reviewing, planning, making and testing and evaluating.
- Students must complete a design and make activity. These activities can be linked (combined design and make) or separate (design one product, manufacture another).
- Task is chosen from a range provided by Edexcel
- All work, with the exception of research and preparation, must be done under informal supervision. Research and preparation may be completed under limited supervision.
Unit 2 Knowledge and Understanding of Textiles Technology Unit code: 5TT02
Overview of content
- Students will develop knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials and processes used in design and technology.
- Students will learn about industrial and commercial practices and the importance of quality checks, and the health and safety issues that have to be considered at all times.
- The knowledge and understanding students develop in this unit can be applied easily to
How will students’ learning be assessed?
Unit 1 Internal Creative Design and Make Activities Unit code: 5TT01
40 hours – 60%
There are a total of 50 marks available for designing and 50 marks for making.
Unit 2 External - Knowledge and Understanding of Textiles Technology Unit code: 5TT02
Written Paper - 1-hour and 30-minutes – 40%
The examination paper will consist of multiple-choice, short-answer and extended-writing questions. The total number of marks available is 80.
After completing this course—what can students’ progress on to?
Interior design, fashion design, teacher, dressmaker/tailor, retail store manager, textiles technologist, soft toy maker.
A genuine interest in textiles, and making items using textiles.
Work will be carried out in a wide variety of ways for example practical activities, investigations, research, data collection and analysis.
Some additional textiles materials may be needed throughout the year.
Access to standard sewing materials at home for practical homework.
Students will be expected to attend allocated study clubs.
For further information contact:
Mrs Gannon: email@example.com